With millions of people coming to Australia every year in search of work, it can be hard to stand out when trying to find a suitable job. In this post, we are going to give a few tips on how to get a job in Australia as a foreigner. We have also created a post for those of you looking for an in depth guide on working in Australia.
Understand Your Visa Work Limits
Before you start applying for work, it is good to know what limitations your visa. This will vary greatly from visa to visa so make sure to check out the information relating to your visa on the Australian Immigration Website. However, we will explain the limits for the most popular visa for backpackers travelling to Australia, the working holiday visa.
With the working holiday visa, the main limit is that you can only work for a single employer for up to 6 months. If you think about the employers side, why would they want to hire someone and then train them up only for them to have to leave in 6 months? It’s very important to know what limits your visa has so you that you spend more time applying for jobs that are more likely to give you a call back. However, if you have certain qualifications that are in demand in Australia, you can possibly get sponsored by an employer and work for much longer. Check out the skill shortage list to find out if you qualify.
When To Apply For Work
One thing many people do when they decide to come to Australia is to apply for jobs from their home country. Unfortunately, unless you have very high in demand skills, this doesn’t work very well. Most employers will not be willing to interview through video call if they aren’t already doing it. Your best best
Searching For Jobs As A Foreigner In Australia
Before you start applying work in Australia, make sure you have done following:
- Get An Australian Phone Number – Not having an Aussie phone number will greatly reduce the amount of call backs you will get from employers.
- Create A Work Friendly Email Address – More of a general tip, make sure your contact email isn’t inappropriate. Something simple such as your name & year of birth at gmail dot com should be fine.
- Apply For Your Tax File Number – As soon as you arrive in Australia, if you don’t plan on travelling Australia first, you should apply for your TFN so as to avoid paying emergency tax.
The next step for how to get a job in Australia as a foreigner is to actually find the job postings. Here are the most popular websites for finding work in Australia:
- Seek – With over 60,000 job posts on the website at the time of creating this post, Seek is the biggest job posting website for Australia. If you are looking for regular work in Australia, Seek should be your first place to look.
- Indeed – Another very popular website for finding work in Australia is Indeed. Many job postings on Seek are usually also on Seek but there’s no harm in checking both when you are on the look out.
- Backpackers Job Board – Where as the two other websites are for anyone looking for work in Australia, Backpackers Job Board is a website tailored towards finding work for backpackers. If you decide to do your 2nd year visa, I highly recommend you check out their website as there is always farm-work jobs being posted.
How To Succeed In The Interview
Unfortunately there isn’t a one size fits all approach that will make you succeed your interview. However, if you aren’t a native English speaker, make sure to research vocabulary related to the role you applied for. You might be surprised at some common words in that field that you didn’t previously know.
The best way to prepare for the interview is to have an idea of what your answer will be to the most common questions that you may get such as: “Why did you move to Australia?”, “Why do you think you are the best candidate for the job?” etc. It’s also worth researching the company interviewing you beforehand as you may be asked what you know about the company during the interview. Compared to Europe, most Australian interviews are a little more relaxed with more focus on your personality. Just try to stay relaxed and remember that there are plenty of jobs that come around every day.
How To Get A Job In Australia As A Foreigner: Conclusion
When you move to another country it can be quite stressful at first when trying to find work. The final thing I would say is that there is always work available in Australia, if you haven’t had luck so far, you should consider whether or not the city you are in is the best choice. If you can’t find work where you are, why not try a different city? I hope that you could find some use out of the tips mentioned in this post. Make sure to check out our other posts for more info on travelling Australia!